Wednesday, November 6, 2013

M's Basic Beef Chili

Living in Texas there's only two seasons... "summer" and "not as hot as summer". When those few cool months a year do come around, and it appears they might be here to stay, I instinctively dust off my favorite cool weather recipes and put them to good use.

Lately, I've had a hankering for some good ol' beef chili so I did what I normally do and scoured several of my favorite recipe websites to find a recipe of my liking.

In truth, I started with a basic chili recipe and decided it was a bit too bland for my taste so after a quick search I found a handful of seasonings that I could add to spice things up a bit. 

I like my food well seasoned, so here's what I came up with: 




M's Basic Beef Chili 

Ingredients:
  • 2 Lbs. Ground Beef  (I prefer the leaner options)
  • 1 Yellow Onion, Chopped
  • 1 - 14.5 oz can of Stewed Tomatoes with juices
  • 1 - 14.5 oz can of Diced Tomatoes (Optional)
  • 1 -  8 oz can of Tomato Sauce 
  • 1 - 14.5 oz can of Kidney Beans, mostly drained 
  • 1 - 14.5 oz can of Pinto Beans, mostly drained
  • 1 cup of Water
  • 1 Tablespoon Paprika
  • 1 Teaspoon Chili Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
  • 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Thyme
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Oregano 
  • Salt and Pepper to taste


Directions:
  1. In a large saucepan, over medium heat, brown meat and chopped onion.
  2. Drain meat/onion mixture and combine in a stockpot with other ingredients.
  3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes


Notes and Substitutions:

  •  This version is not very spicy but to spice things up, simply add more chili powder and/or cayenne pepper to taste.
  • Original recipe called for 1 Lb of ground beef but we are carnivores in my house, so I doubled the meat because it sounded like a good idea and also because it makes the chili go further.  
  • For a healthier option, substitute ground turkey or ground bison for beef. Other additions: Bell pepper, ranch style beans, additional types of meat
  • 1 Tablespoon of Italian Seasoning Blend can be substituted for the Thyme and Oregano